Artist Statement | Project 2



The "fear of missing out" or "FOMO" is a very common feeling in people my age from my perspective. People like to be invited to things, like to participate in things, and like to be included. For me, I struggled a lot with this during my high school years more than anything. My two closest friends had been best friends since birth basically so I almost always felt like a third wheel. It didn't stop with that though I felt left out 99% of the time too. My friends would always hang out, go to the movies, go out to eat, etc. and I wouldn't be invited. During this time, I felt as though it was on purpose and that I didn't have any real friends. Sometimes I feel as though even the act of being invited to outings, even if you cannot go or your friends know you'll say no, helps you feel more included and thought of. 

I wanted this installation to really show the feeling one has when feeling left out or experiencing FOMO. The sight of me laying on my couch alone watching tv, texting, on social media, sleeping etc. while the videos of my friends having fun (without me) projected on the wall around me, I hope will portray the true feeling I, and others, feel when they are missing out on things.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gallery Instructions | Final

Artist Statement | Final